
Kharkiv's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Secrets of Sumskaia 19!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into a review of Kharkiv's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Secrets of Sumskaia 19! – and let me tell you, this place is a bit of a whirlwind. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it has a certain je ne sais quoi that’s already got me itching to book a return trip. Let's get messy, shall we?
First, the Basics (and the Accessibility Anxiety)
Right off the bat, I have to address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. This is crucial, and the info is… well, it's a little scattered. The details are a bit vague, so I'd HIGHLY recommend calling ahead and asking specific questions. Do they have ramps? Are the elevators truly accessible? Is the restaurant manageable? This is NOT an area where you want to assume anything. I'm listing "Facilities for disabled guests" but that can mean anything from the elevator to a ramp for a single step - investigate!
On-site accessible restaurants / lounges: Again, ask. Don't just take my word for it.
Internet – A Lifesaver and Headache Combined
Okay, internet. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! – YES! And it generally worked. Internet access, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas… It's all there! Mostly reliable, thank God because, let's be honest, I can't live without my Instagram. The speed varied; sometimes blazing fast, sometimes… well, let's just say it tested my patience. I ended up using my phone as a hotspot more than I wanted to. I guess if you REEEEALLY need a strong internet connection this might be something to double check with the staff before you get locked in.
"Things to Do" - Beyond the Hotel Walls
Okay, Sumskaia 19 isn't exactly in the heart of the buzzing scene. But that's kind of the point, isn't it? It's a hidden gem! You’re meant to explore Kharkiv, my friend. The hotel can arrange Airport transfer and Taxi service - which is a godsend, because hailing a cab in a new city can be a comedy of errors. They do have Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, which is fantastic if you're road-tripping. Bicycle parking? Sweet! They've thought of everything! Okay, almost everything…
Spa, Sauna, and the Elusive Pool with a View (and the Sauna I Got Lost In)
Oof. This is where things get interesting. They have a Spa, Spa/sauna, Sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], Fitness center, Gym/fitness, Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath. Sounds dreamy, right? Well, it was. Mostly. The Pool with view? I was promised a view. I'm not sure what happened but on the first day, the view was… a brick wall. I just laughed. Day 2? Amazing. You never know!
And the sauna… let me tell you about the sauna. I may or may not have gotten thoroughly lost in the winding corridors and steam. It felt like one of those dream sequences where you're desperately trying to find the exit but every turn leads to another door. I eventually found my way out, slightly red-faced and smelling vaguely of eucalyptus and shame.
The Massage? Absolutely divine. Honestly, I was so stressed from the travel, a slightly less-than-perfect massage would have put me into a bad mood. But this saved the day, I swear. I went for a full body treatment, and it was chef’s kiss. Highly recommend.
Cleanliness and Safety – The New Normal (with a few stumbles)
The COVID protocols felt… well, they were there. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment. It was all very present, maybe a little too present. I appreciated the effort – especially considering the state of the world - but it sometimes felt a little clinical. They are trying, you can see that.
Daily housekeeping was a blessing. My room was always immaculate. But the first day, I actually had to ask for hand sanitizer in my room – a bit of a surprise.
Dining: A Rollercoaster of Flavors (and the Unexpected Soup)
Now, the food. Oh, the food. It's… inconsistent. There’s a lot to choose from: A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.
The Breakfast [buffet] was decent. Standard continental stuff; but sometimes the eggs were cold. The Coffee shop was a lifesaver. I became addicted to their lattes. The Poolside bar was a nice touch, especially as the day was ending.
But then there was the soup. One evening, I ordered the soup. The waiter almost looked embarrassed when he brought it. It wasn’t what I expected at all. It had this strange… earthy flavor, and a texture… well, let's just say it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I ate most of it, though. Mostly because I was starving. And because I'm not one to waste food.
Rooms: Cozy and Quirky (with a Surprise or Two)
Okay, the rooms. Available in all rooms: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
My room was lovely. It's difficult to dislike things when you have Bathtub and Air conditioning. The Bed was super comfortable. I loved the Blackout curtains – crucial for beating jet lag. The decor was a bit of a mishmash, but in a charming, slightly eccentric way. Like your favorite quirky aunt's living room.
There was one small incident: I realized I didn't have a plug adapter. Panic. I called the front desk. And guess what? They had spares. Not just that, but they delivered it. This is the kind of thing that makes a hotel memorable.
Services and Conveniences – The Perks (and the Occasional Hiccup)
Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.
The Concierge was helpful, though sometimes a little hard to track down. Cash withdrawal on site is always a plus, the Elevator was a godsend (especially after getting lost in the spa!). Luggage storage? Yep, they have it. But don’t assume everything. You should check in advance about anything that is essential to you.
For the Kids (and the Babysitting Situation)
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal. While I'm not traveling with kids, I did notice the hotel seemed to have kid-friendly spaces. Babysitting service is available, which is a huge plus for families. So, a thumbs-up on the kids front!
Security and Safety – Feeling Secure-ish
**Access, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailablePets allowed, Proposal
Vienna Hotel Changsha: Unbeatable Luxury Near Haide Park!
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because we're diving headfirst into the chaotic, beautiful, and probably slightly smelly heart of Sumskaia 19 in Kharkiv. This isn't your meticulously planned, perfectly Instagrammable itinerary. This is real life. This is me, trying not to trip over my own feet while simultaneously trying to soak in the soul of this city.
Day 1: Landing in Kharkiv (And Surviving the Train)
Morning (Train Hell): Okay, let's be honest, the train. The Ukrainian train. It’s an experience. Forget the sleek, silent comfort of the Orient Express. This is more like… a rolling, slightly rickety, communal living space. Packed. Sweltering. The smell of instant noodles and something vaguely floral permeated everything. I swear, I saw a babushka knit for a solid six hours, her needles clicking like a metronome, utterly unfazed by the jostling and the (at times) questionable hygiene. I, on the other hand, was already questioning my life choices. But hey, I'm here, I survived, and the views of the Ukrainian countryside were actually pretty stunning when I could pry my eyes away from the existential dread.
Afternoon (Sumskaia Street Stroll & Tourist Panic): Finally, Kharkiv! Whew. After the train I was desperately needing coffee. I took a taxi from the train station (which was a whole other adventure in itself, involving frantic gesturing and a lot of Russian I think I understood. I am not a Russian speaker, by the way… ) straight away to Sumskaia Street, the beating heart of the city.
- First Impressions: Holy crap, the buildings! Magnificent. Grand. Reminiscent of a bygone era. I wandered around like a bewildered tourist, gawking at the architecture. The Derzhprom building (aka the Gosprom building) alone could make you tear up. It's truly something out of a sci-fi movie.
- Lunch Fiasco: My hunger had me in a state. I had a terrible, panic-fueled lunch at a cafe where I tried to order something but ended up with a plate of pierogi. Honestly, they were not bad, but this was not what I wanted and it was a little bit more pricey than I was expecting…
- Coffee Quest: Needed more coffee! Found a cute little coffee shop and, well, it was perfection. The coffee was strong, the pastries were delightful, and I think the barista understood my overly enthusiastic attempts at ordering. Ah, caffeinated bliss.
Evening (Dinner & Evening Vibes):
- Restaurant Recs: I am going to check out the recommendations. Because I barely ate a decent lunch.
- Evening walk: I can't wait to see the city lights.
Day 2: Culture, Food, and… More Food
Morning (Museum Hop & Emotional Overload): I'm going to be honest, my brain has a habit of going a mile a minute. Museums are generally not my thing but, I had read up on the history of the city, and I was determined to try. I visited the State Museum of Arts. It was intense. Really intense. It's hard to put into words. It was a lot of art, a lot of history, a lot of emotion. I left feeling both invigorated and utterly exhausted. Also, I am pretty certain that I don't know anything, so if anyone asks? I did not see anything.
Afternoon (Food, Glorious Food, and a Mishap):
- Lunch & Real Life Bites: I ended up at a different place for lunch. Big mistake. I was feeling pretty proud of myself, having successfully ordered a bowl of borscht (YES!). But, I managed to spill half of it down my shirt. Because I am a graceful human being. The waiters were laughing, the soup burned a hole in my shirt, and I just wanted to hide under a table. That's just me, really.
- Pastry Rescue: I ended up going to another bakery. and getting a delicious pastry filled with some cream stuff. I feel better now.
Evening (Nightlife… or the Lack Thereof): I am going to have a quiet night. Maybe I will find another coffee shop.
Day 3: Quirks, Chaos, and Maybe Just Maybe, Understanding
- Morning (Market Madness): Okay, so I have a confession to make. I was terrified of the market. The sheer volume of people, the smells, the shouting… It felt like organized chaos. But, I did it! I braved it. I bought some fruit (that I hope I can eat without getting sick). I pointed, I smiled, I tried to say "thank you" in Ukrainian… and I surprisingly got away with buying some.
- Afternoon (The Unexpected Beauty of People): So, here's a weird thing. I was wandering around, feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed again. I accidentally bumped into someone spilling coffee all over them. I panicked. I started apologizing profusely. They just laughed, maybe a bit of vodka was involved, who knows. We shared a laugh. We talked for a while. I realized something. Despite the language barrier, despite the culture shock, there's something fundamentally human that connects us. And it's beautiful.
- Evening (Departure Anxiety & Final Reflections):
- Packing Panic: I'm leaving tomorrow. And I haven't packed. Great.
- The Moment: As the sun set over Sumskaia, casting a golden glow on those incredible buildings, I felt a pang. I wasn't ready to leave. This city, with all its quirks and imperfections, had burrowed its way into my soul. I'm not sure I "understood" it. But I felt it. And that, my friends, is enough.
This itinerary isn't perfect. It's messy. It's honest. And it's me. This trip has been a rollercoaster. Beautiful. Exhausting. Challenging. And utterly, completely worth it.
Final Note: Okay, so this is what I've come up with. I've tried to capture the messy, beautiful soul of travel in the way I experience it. If you're planning a trip to Sumskaia 19, go with an open mind, a sense of humor, and a willingness to get a little lost (both literally and figuratively). You won't regret it.
Andi's Steakhüsli: Schopfheim's BEST Steakhouse & Hotel (Germany)
Kharkiv's Hidden Gem: Sumskaia 19 - Your Messy, Wonderful Guide
What *is* Sumskaia 19 anyway? Seriously, I'm lost already.
Okay, okay, deep breaths. Sumskaia 19 isn't some secret society (though it feels like it sometimes). It's basically this building, right? Gorgeous, turn-of-the-century architecture, smack-dab in the middle of Kharkiv. But it's *what's inside* that's the real deal. Think art galleries, cafes, quirky shops... a whole vibe. It’s kinda like if a bohemian artist threw a party in a stately home, and everyone just stayed. Forever. God, I love that place.
Okay, convince me. Why should I bother going? Kharkiv has a lot to offer, you know.
Look, I'm not gonna lie; navigating Kharkiv is a *thing*. But going to Sumskaia 19 is... well, it’s like stepping through a portal. First off, the architecture is worth the price of admission alone. Seriously, bring your camera. You'll wind up taking a million photos of the building itself, even before you go inside. And inside? Forget it. You've got incredible art, delicious coffee that actually tastes like coffee (a rarity in some places!), and shops with stuff you *won't* find anywhere else. Plus the atmosphere...It's just *different*. A total escape. Trust me, you'll forget about all the stress of the city once you are inside.
Got any tips for a first-timer? This place sounds overwhelming.
Alright, newbie. Here's the lowdown. First, *expect* to get lost. Seriously. It's part of the charm. Just wander. Don't be afraid to poke your head into every nook and cranny. My first time? I spent a good hour just wandering because I didn’t know where to begin and had to stop to calm down a little before I started to explore. Take comfy shoes – you'll be doing a lot of walking. And *most importantly*... go with an open mind. Don't expect polished perfection. Embrace the imperfections, the slightly wonky signage, the occasional cat lounging in a doorway. It's all part of the experience. God, I love that cat.
Tell me about the art galleries. What's the vibe?
Right, the *art*. This is where Sumskaia 19 really shines. You'll find everything from classical paintings to, like, intensely modern installations that might make you question your entire worldview. The vibe? Eclectic. Bohemian. Sometimes a little pretentious (let's be honest), but always interesting. I remember seeing this exhibition once, all about… well, I *think* it was about the ephemeral nature of existence, as far as I could tell. It involved a lot of mirrors and strategically placed oranges. I wandered through it twice and then retreated to a cafe for a stiff espresso. But even though I didn't always understand it, I *felt* something. And that's the point, isn't it? So, yeah, the the art galleries are absolutely worth the time.
And the food & drink? Are there any good cafes?
Oh. My. God. The cafes. Okay, so there's this one place, "Coffee & Crumbs" (not the real name, but close enough!). They make, and this is *not* an exaggeration, the best coffee in Kharkiv. Seriously. I'd travel across the city for their lattes. And the pastries? Forget about it. My waistline curses Sumskaia 19, but my soul rejoices. Then there's a spot with… well, I won't give it away, but let's just say they have a very specific and interesting menu. Another place has food and drinks that are both incredibly good and beautiful, I just don’t remember the name. Just go. Find a table. Order something. You won't regret it. But maybe bring a friend, or a comfortable book to read alone.
What about the shops? Anything unique?
Yes! This is where you'll find treasures. Handmade jewelry, vintage clothing (that might actually *fit*!), quirky homewares… I found this shop once that sold, and I'm not even kidding, antique taxidermy. A stuffed squirrel wearing a tiny monocle. I didn't buy it (maybe I should have...), but I still think about it. Then there is this one shop with beautiful books, but I cannot read in Ukrainian so I have to find someone to translate everything. It's hard to choose, but take your time and browse. You never know what you'll discover. I even got a cat from here once! Well, not really, but I wish I did.
Is it always busy? Any good times to visit?
It's *usually* pretty busy, especially on weekends. The best time to go, in my opinion, is a weekday afternoon. More space to breathe, less jostling for tables, and you can really soak up the atmosphere. But honestly? Even if it's packed, it's still worth it. There's a buzz, a creative energy that's infectious. Just… be prepared to wait for a coffee. And maybe bring a book. I always bring a book.
How do I get there? Is it hard to find?
Oh, the irony! It’s in the name! It's on Sumskaia Street, number 19. You can't miss it. It is directly in the city center, so it is as easy as walking and looking up. But just in case, use Google Maps. It’s right there. You're welcome.
Okay, okay, you've almost convinced me. Anything else I should know? Any downsides?
Alright, let's be real. It's not perfect. Sometimes the service can be a bit slow, a little too 'artistic' for its own good. And, if you are in a hurry, maybe avoid it. But honestly, those are minor quibbles. The biggest "downside"? You'll probably want to move in. I know I do. I am not kidding. I dream about Sumskaia 19 sometimes. The art, the coffee, the general… ‘je ne sais quoi’… It's a place to escape the ordinary, to be inspired, to just *be*. GO. You won't regret it. And if you see me there, buying yet another coffee and staring at a painting of a potato, say hello.

